Plex is a great program to manage contents between two or more devices. With Plex Media Server, you can stream media from a device to another. Once it is installed and set up, you can stream all media from your computer to any device, including your Android or iOS device. Here is how to install and set up Plex Media Server on a Windows or Mac computer.
How to download and install Plex on your computer
If you want to stream media from your computer to any of your devices, with Plex you can do it easily. Here are the steps to download the Plex Media Server.
1. Open any Web Browser of your computer.
2. Enter ‘www.plex.tv/downloads’ in the search bar.
3. Press ‘Enter’ to open the downloading page of Plex.
4. Look for the orange color download button.
5. Click the ‘Download’ button. This will open a new download option at the bottom of the window.
6. Check the operating system detected by the website, before you start downloading.
7. Click the ‘Download’ button at the bottom of the page.
Plex Media Server is downloading on your computer, wait for it to download successfully.
8. Now, locate the ‘Download’ folder and open it.
9. Double click on the Plex installer file or folder (in Mac).
10. Now, click the ‘Install’ button on the Welcome window. If you’re on Mac, after extracting the Plex zip folder click the Plex launching the app and move it to the Applications folder.
11. When it is installed completely, you’ll see the Plex Media Server icon on your desktop.
How to set up Plex Media Server on your computer
1. Launch the ‘Plex Media Server’ app.
2. Use the start menu, if you didn’t find the app.
3. Now, select a Sign in option to create a new Plex account.
4. You can use your Google, Facebook, or email to create an account.
5. After signing in, select a ‘Plex subscription option.’
6. Click ‘Skip For Now,’ if you want to use the trial mode of Plex.
7. Click ‘ADD LIBRARY’ button at the center of the dashboard page.
8. Choose a media type, films, TV programs, Music, Photos, or Other videos.
9. At the left column, click ‘Add folders.’
10. Then click ‘BROWSE FOR MEDIA FOLDER’ to open a media folder. Plex will try to scan and select a folder automatically.
11. Find and select a folder that contains the media files.
12. Click ‘ADD’ button at the bottom. You can add as many as folders as you want.
Davis Johnson is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Davis has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.